My Emerald Ecstasy Green Smoothie Recipe has become a favorite way to introduce skeptics to the idea of drinking something Green! It is the first recipe in my 30 Green Smoothie Recipes Ebook. It is sweet and delicious.
In 2008 I was the first Vitamix demonstrator in my region to make green smoothies and hand them out as samples in a show. I invented this recipe to taste great to a skeptical crowd (back then, the term “Green Smoothie” wasn’t as well known as it is now). I jokingly call this a “kindergarten” green smoothie because admittedly, it is high in natural sugars, but if you are looking for a great way to get kids, skeptical husbands, wives, or anyone who look at green with a turned up nose to try something green, look no further than this Emerald Ecstasy Green Smoothie Recipe!
- Red grapes would taste just as good, but you won’t get the pretty green color if you choose red.
- Be sure to remove grape stems, they are bitter.
- I peel the pineapple, but you can leave the core – it is good for you! Check out this article for more information on Seeds, Stems, Leaves, and Skins you can use in your Vitamix.
- The riper the banana, the sweeter it will be!
- You can use any greens in this recipe. If you aren’t familiar with the importance of rotating your greens, or what different kinds of greens you might use in a green smoothie, I highly recommend my 30 Green Smoothie Recipes Ebook!
- A single sprig of fresh parsley is a nice addition to this recipe.
- If you use kale, collards, or swiss chard, de-stem for best taste and texture. Beet greens do not have to be de-stemmed, but they will turn the recipe brown instead of green (red + green = brown). The taste is great, but the color is off. A great way to hide the color of a smoothie is to serve in a stainless steel smoothie cup, and use stainless steel straws!
- If this recipe isn’t sweet enough for your taste, you can add Dates. Add them right after you add the water with the green grapes. This way they will be near to the blades and will get liquified easily.
- Be sure to check for pits. Medjool dates are the softer variety, but often come with pits. Most “pitted dates” are of the deglet noor variety. Deglet noor dates are more compact, and drier than medjools. Any kind of date will work in this recipe.
- Stevia is a great alternative to dates that does not affect blood sugar.
Superfood Smoothie Blend (optional)
- Grab a copy of my 30 Green Smoothie Recipes Ebook to get more details, but in short, if you keep your green smoothie recipes free of additives (use only water, fruit, and greens) they are a cleansing, detoxifying snack.
- That being said, many people want their green smoothie to be a meal replacement. I’m a big fan of these Superfood Blends because they are created with the BEST POSSIBLE ingredients, they are delicious, and you don’t have to keep 5-10 bags of different superfoods on hand. Just one scoop of any of the four delicious flavors, is a nutrient boosting addition to any smoothie!
- Use the directions in this blog article about How to Blend Berry, Grape, Chia, and Flax Seeds when using these Superfood Blends.
- Ancient Greens is the flavor that would be most appropriate for this recipe.
- Use Coupon Code BlenderLady when ordering the Superfood Blends to get a 5% discount!
Add ingredients in the following order: water, grapes, pineapple, banana, apple, greens, ice. If you have a Standard model start at Variable Speed #1, quickly move the dial to 10 (in less than 5 seconds), then flip the switch to High. If you have a Standard Programs, OR either of the Next Generation* models, start at Variable Speed #1, then move the dial quickly (in less than 5 seconds) up to Variable #10 (High in a Standard model = Variable #10 in the other models).
Blend on High using the tamper as needed.
I like to blend until all of the spinach pieces disappear and the smoothie is all one color. I don’t use the smoothie setting on a model that has programs because I like to stop blending my green smoothies right when the last speck of greens (in this case spinach) disappears. This ensures the green smoothie will be smooth, and creamy, and still cold! If you like warmer smoothies, blend until the smoothie is the temperature you like.
By Lea Ann Savage – Copyright 2015
Would you like to be notified when there is a new blog post? Enter your email address in the form below to SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLENDER LADY BLOG…
If you’ve tried this recipe, how did you like it? Please leave comments and/or questions about this Emerald Ecstasy Green Smoothie Recipe below…